In her beautifully produced book, Around My French Table, Dorie Greenspan presents recipes easy to incorporate into home life. One recipe particularly has been useful to adapt to whatever is in the market. Her version is a mustard tart recipe for carrots and leeks. With eggs and creme fraiche it can be used as a starter or along with a salad as a main. Most importantly it is a great jumping-off place for variations. In fact, this recipe itself is an adaptation of a Burgundian dish — tomato mustard tart.
- 6-8 small market carrots, multiple colors can be interesting, if available.
- 2-3 thin leeks or spring onion greens
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 3 large eggs
- 6 tbsp crème fraiche
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard, flequently called Ancient or Country Style
- 2 tbsp Grainy Dijon mustard
- 1 The Perfect 9" Tart Shell
- Roll out and prepare a Perfect 9" Tart Shell according to instructions, including pre-baking the empty shell.
- After pre-baking the tart shell, raise the temperature to 425°F
- While tart shell is baking and cooling, prepare the vegetables. Slice the carrots into about 3 to 4" long. You want the carrots to be about ¼ thick and some slightly thicker to give a distinct presence in the final product. Cut the leeks or onions simarlly. Place in a steamer basket along with the rosemary and steam for about 10 minutes. (You want the vegetables to be a little undercooked.) Drain the vegetables and pat dry. Discard the rosemary.
- Whisk together the eggs, crème fraiche and mustard. At this point you will need to judge the strength of your mustard -- adding more or less depending on the taste. Additionally, salt, again how much may vary with the mustard. Add pepper as desired.
- Arrange the vegetables in a pattern on the tart. A radial pattern, swirls, criss-cross anything that seems attractive to you. Pour the egg/cream mixture over the vegetables, gently spreading over the complete tart. Top with a small tender sprig of rosemary.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until the tart is puffed and lightly browned. Cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.
Adapted from Dorie Greenspan.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 1199Total Fat: 54gSaturated Fat: 32gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 269mgSodium: 1021mgCarbohydrates: 167gFiber: 12gSugar: 91gProtein: 18g
Calculated Nutrition is estimated.