Steaming fish en papillote (paper envelopes) is an incredibly simple technique that produces intense flavors and has a wow factor for presentation. All with little effort. Use it when you want to steam fish with flavors or side vegetables that you want to meld together. Cooking with the intense flavor of ramps is an example.
The technique is really simple. All you need is parchment paper and scissors.
- Cut parchment paper about 14" long. One piece for each planned serving. Fold in half.
- Optional: Roast or steam any vegetables that may require additional cooking to make more tender or required to release flavors. Closed in the packets the fish will only require a few minutes and that may not be enough for all ingredients.
- Place your strongest accent flavors on the bottom. (Garlic, onions, etc.) These flavors will permeate through the dish as steam rises. Place the fish on top.
- Add additional side vegetables on top of the fish. Add cream, wine, or butter, if used. Slices of lemon may also go on top. Add salt, pepper, and seasoning, as desired.
- Fold parchment paper over to make the packet.
- Fold and crimp the edges multiple times. Continue to press the creases to make sure they stay sealed. That is it, you are done.
- Bake fish for about 10 minutes if an inch or so thick. Adjust accordingly for thickness, if required. Remove, place on a plate for service, and cut open with scissors.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g