Summer and Christmas in Australia, particularly in Queensland, give you plenty of opportunities for using Mangos. You can enjoy these Mango Muffins any time of the day, wherever and whenever you want a bit of summer.
What I like about these muffins is they are made with whole wheat flour and non-fat yogurt. This gives a bit more substance and staying power to the muffins.
Notes on Technique
Cubing the Mango
These Mango Muffins call for the mango to be cubed. This can be easily done by removing and cubing the “cheeks” from the pit. First, find the pit. Mangos are oval, if you hold it to look down the length you will notice this cross view is also oval. The pit runs through the length of this oval. The cheeks are on the side of the oval. Cut the cheeks away, cube them while still in the flesh, and then turn them inside out to make the cubes easy to remove. Do this with both cheeks, then remove any extra flesh that may be available attached to the pit. The following photos demonstrate this process.
Hint: Click or hover over the photos below for more details
Admittedly, using primarily yogurt instead of milk leaves this recipe a bit dry. Mixing the liquid into the dry can be a bit difficult. I find it helpful to mix from the bottom of the bowl — turning the dry ingredients from the bottom up to the wet.
Notes on Ingredients
Mangos are the star of the show here. If you are not living in Queensland, chances are you won’t find mangos as ripe as those pictured. Buy the best you can and wait until they are a bit soft to the touch. They should be ripe enough for your muffins.
The recipe calls for no-fat yogurt and milk making this a relatively low-fat muffin option.
I have added a bit of shredded unsweetened coconut to the muffin. Actually, a small amount but enough to give a nice offsetting flavor. Leave it out if you do not have any. Likewise, feel free to add more if you like the taste.
Serving Mango Muffins
This recipe makes 12 good-sized muffins. They are excellent right out of the oven or re-heated — which gives them a bit of a toasted texture and taste. Freezing them and reheating them thoroughly works just fine. I have also found that split and lightly toasted can also work as a dessert. Especially if you serve them with my mango curd.
A bit of coconut as a bonus
- 1 1/2 cup plain flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 heaping tablespoon shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup non-fat milk
- 1 1/4 cup (310g) non-fat Greek style yogurt
- 8 Tablespoons (113g) Butter + extra for buttering tins
- 2 cups heaping small mangos cubes (a little less than two full mangos)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter a 12-hole muffin pan.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar in a large bowl. Mix well to incorporate fully. Add the coconut and stir evenly through the mixture.
- Stir in the chopped mango into the dry ingredients. Spread completely in the mix,
- Melt the butter. Whisk the eggs in a medium bowl. Add the milk, and yogurt, and melted butter to the whisked eggs. Whisk all together completely.
- Fold the egg mixture into the flour mixture until just combined. The mixture is a bit dry because of the moisture that will come from the mangos, so be careful not to over-mix.
- Divide batter between muffin holes. The mix should make 12 ample muffins.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until golden and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in a muffin pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack. Enjoy warm.
- The muffins may be stored in the refrigerator or freezer. To serve reheat completely, or split and lightly toast.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 215Total Fat: 9.5gSaturated Fat: 5.7gTrans Fat: 0.3gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 244mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 2gSugar: 10gProtein: 5g
Calculated Nutrition is estimated.
Monday 13th of February 2023
love the flavor mango gives to this muffin
Monday 13th of February 2023
These muffins come out with such a deliciously refreshing flavor!